The laboratories of the Polymer Engineering Center have a wide range of polymer-processing machines, including an Arburg 55-ton co-injection molding machine with MuCell capability, a Welding Engineers counter-rotating twin screw extruder, a Brabender batch mixer, an Engel 55-ton tiebarless injection molding machine, a lab-scale t-ton injection molding machine with a Liquid Silicone Rubber unit, blow molding and thermoforming equipment, and a film blowing line. Recently, faculty at PEC received a Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) grant from NSF to acquire a modular, instrumented single-screw extruder with sensors and a multi-function co-injection molding machine as experimental instruments for both research and education at the PEC. In addition, our center has a variety of measuring equipment such as a special patented Sliding-plate rheometer, an AR1000 R&D grade rheometer, a Dynamic Mechanical Analysis (DMA), and an on-loan Thermo-gravimetric Analyzer (TGA) for material characterization.
- Blow Molding Machine
- Compression Molding Machine
- Film Blowing Machine
- Roller Coating Machine
- Single-Screw Extruder (Extrudex)
- Lab-Single-Screw Extruder (Brabender)
- Laser Sintering Machine: DTM SINTERSTATION 2500CI ATC with 30 Watt coherent laser and 3 axis M3ST scanning system
- Sliding Plate Rheometer
- Thermoforming Machine
- Twin Screw Extruder
- 8-ton Boy Injection Molding Machine with LSR unit
- 55-ton Arburg Two-color, Co-injection Molding Machine w/ MuCell Capability
- Special vertical injection molding machine for semi-solid alloy casting
The PEC computer laboratory is equipped with two SGI (IRIX 6.5) workstations and several Pentium II, Pentium III, and Xeon workstations running Linux and Windows 2000. In-house research codes and many polymer-related commercial CAE software packages, including C-MOLD, CADMOULD, CADPRESS, and Moldflow, are available for educational and research purposes. The commercial compression molding software, CADPRESS, was originally developed at the center.